Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cubao Expo's Bellini's: Still My Favorite Italian Restaurant

After a bad food trip day, all I want to do is go back to my old favorite, hidden Italian Restaurant in Cubao Expo - Bellini's.


Last November, my friends, Kiwee, Fred and I went all the way to Manila in search of the best xiao long bao and burger only to feel disappointed from both restaurants. We felt so defeated until a cup of coffee from KaffeCaffe saved the day


However, later on in the day, Kiwee and I started feeling weak and we both blamed the extremely oily burger that we had ingested earlier. We then started craving for our old time favorite restaurant, Bellini's. We've always loved Bellini's and we felt it was the best restaurant to go back to to have a "cleansing" food session.
So right after visiting Libreria Bookstore, we immersed ourselves to the soothing and calming effect of the romantic ambiance of Bellini's. The story of Bellini's, after all, is about a great romance between an Italian and a Filipina. You can immediately feel it as soon as you enter this quaint restaurant. 


With live Italian music playing in the background and hand-painted painted walls and ceilings, it's hard not to feel the love of the couple behind this authentic Italian Restaurant, Roberto and Luisa.
Roberto used to be a paparazzi in Italy as evidenced by the numerous celebrity photographs displayed on the restaurant's walls. During 1986, he was assigned to the Philippines to cover the EDSA Revolution. It was in Malacanang that he met his future wife, Luisa. 


After living in Italy for 10 years and raising three children, they went back to the Philippines and opened their own cozy Italian restaurant, Bellini's. Roberto is in charge of making everyone in the restaurant feel at home, while Luisa, having mastered the art of Italian cooking, is in charge of the kitchen.


All of their food, from their pastas, sauces, breads and desserts are baked fresh in Bellini's; thus making it the best restaurant for our "cleansing" food session. 
Complimentary Bread Sticks (Php Free!)
We simply wanted a light meal that would help wash out the "energy-draining toxins" we had incurred from the day so we ordered a salad and a pasta dish. While waiting for our orders, we were served complimentary tall crunchy bread sticks. Yaaay!
Grilled Mixed Salad (Php200)
After a few minutes since we finished the bread sticks, our Grilled Mixed Salad was served on a festive red platter. What I really love about this salad is how simple and light it is. With just a light oil based dressing, the salad cleaned the palate very well. I also enjoyed the natural sweetness coming from the caramelization of its ingredients, especially that of the white onion rings. This is a definite must try. :) It's simple, quiet but naturally flavorful. 
Gnocchi Verdi Pomodoro e Basilico (Php280)
Shortly after, the Gnocchi Verdi Pomodoro e Basilico or their Spinach Gnocchi with Tomato and Basil arrived on our table. Similar to the salad, this pasta was also very light. Its tomato sauce was light and it blended the spinach and basil flavors wonderfully. The gnocchi had a very soft, thick and chewy texture which I was very fond of. 


I've tried better pasta dishes from Bellini's but this was a nice pasta choice for our cleansing intent. 


So despite having a failed food trip day, our day still ended on a high note because we went back to one of our first loves, Bellini's. Not only did it cheer us up, it also cleansed us from our food exploration with its fresh salad and pasta. And with such a lovely ambiance, Bellini's served as a great reward for us for being so daring with our food choices that day. 


There's really nothing like going back to your old time favorites. :)

More Info on Bellini's:
Address: Cubao Expo, Gen. Romulo Ave., Cubao, Quezon City, Metro Manila
Map: Click Here
Menu: Click Here
Budget: Php350-500/head
Contact Number: (02) 913-2550
Operating Hours: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm


Other Cubao Expo Related Posts:


~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

11 comments:

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

When I get the chance to go to cubao, i'll definitely eat here :)

Rackell said...

whoa! nice place! I wish I can have a chance to go there.

Smarla said...

Hi Ava!

Yup this is a definite must visit when you're in cubap :D

Smarla said...

Hi Rackell,

I think you and Ian will love this place. :) For special events, you guys may also order a bottle of wine to go with your pizza. It's a really romantic hidden restaurant :)

Robbie said...

Wowowowowow. I've always been so curious about this place whenever I go to Cubao-X pero I always get intimidated by how it looks.

I guess mas confident na akong pumasok. I thought it's super expensive there kasi. Hahaha.

Are people allowed to take photos? Kasi diba strict ang Cubao-X sa picture taking? Hahahaha.

Thanks for this post! :D

Smarla said...

Hey Robbie,

Yup pwede magpicture taking. :) Super matutuwa pa yung owner sa iyo basta pipicture-an mo rin siya. Mahilig siya makipag picture taking at makipag usap sa customers. Dun mo marerealize how affectionate Italians are. :)

Nagiging expensive lang yung food dito if you order the meat sampler and spaghetti sampler plates and if you order wine. Other than that, you can choose meals that are Php200-300 each. :)

melovesflying said...

I've been here too. But sadly, nadisappoint ako dun sa naorder ko noon. Can you recommend something good? :D

Btw, I am a graduating student from UP Manila and blog hopping led me here. :) I was wondering if you could answer a survey I made regarding Filipino bloggers. This is for my thesis and answering will only take you a couple of minutes.

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HLEKII_31745bbc

Confidentiality will be of utmost priority. Answering my survey will be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Jayvie said...

uy! dyan nagcelebrate ng 6th anniv yung officemate ko and yung boyfriend nya hihi. sooooo nice nga daw the resto :D

ay tall bread sticks! kamagong ang tawag dyan dibey? sensya na, jologs lang hahahaha :D

Smarla said...

Really? What did you order? Try their foreign sounding pastas and pizzes rather than the Filipinized dishes :)

I answered your survey :)

Smarla said...

Hi Jayvie,

Hahaha natawa naman ako sa comment mo! :D

woow 6th anniv? awww nice nga yung place for annivs. Nung nandun kami, mayroong couple on a date. Nasa ligaw phase pa lang yata kasi may wine pa sila at formal na formal sila

kuviivo89 said...

Recently I was really, really low on money and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money.. on the internet! I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I've been far more able to pay my bills!! I'm so glad, I did this!!! - frkg