Thursday, December 30, 2010

11 Highlights of the Year Before 2011

Looking back at what happened this 2010 before we enter into 2011. :) 


Here's my 11 Highlights of the Year Before 2011. They're arranged chronologically - well sort of since I had to group events together to come up with list of just 11 Highlights. Hehe. 

1. I traveled so much this year! My best record so far :D  
I'm a beach girl so I'm so happy that I had a total of 5 beach trips this year: Puerto Galera (1st picture), Pangasinan-Quezon (5th picture), Bohol (2nd picture), Boracay, Palawan (3rd picture). 

For the campaign, I had short trips to Bulacan, Antique, Nueva Ecija, Bataan, Tagaytay, Subic, Tacloban and Zambales. Yes, we had several major road trips during the campaign that I had one major throwing up incident. Oops :P But I'm not complaining, I love traveling!

2. Yes, I am yellow :)
The Campaign Team & My Yellow Birthday
From late January until end of May, I was part of the yellow campaign under the Aquino-Roxas & SLAMAT LORRRD banner. It was really stressful especially when the election day was fast approaching but I learned so much and met so many brilliant people. The best part was having the opportunity to work with people who are as passionate about building the nation. 

3. Falling in love with the tarsiers and doing the plunge in Bohol!
About to take the Plunge
Right after a stressful campaign, I decided to reward myself by finally going to my dream vacation place, Bohol. I spent 4 days and 3 nights there with my mom and I had the best time of our lives. Just seeing the tarsiers made the trip worth it but I was even given the chance to snorkel, take underwater pictures, go island hopping, take the river cruise, ride the zipline and do the plunge! I love you Bohol!


4. My Lola's 90th Birthday
I also went home to Aklan to celebrate my Lola's 90th Birthday. Surprisingly, she's even more energetic now. She's back into writing poems and prayers which my mom publishes in her hub. Since her party, she's been happier and more grateful about her life. I'm so happy we threw her a nice party. By the way, I was the host for that party. Haha, another one of those funny hosting gigs. :P

5. Meet the Parents (Ten ten ten teeeeennnnn)
I also met RJ's mom for the first time. I was so nervous when I found out that she wanted to meet me for dinner. You should have seen how nervous I was. I baked my famous quick rolls and had a haircut prior to the dinner just to make sure I make a good impression. In the end, I had a great dinner with RJ's mom and his sisters. They were so warm and I felt welcomed instantly. :) Yaaay!

6. Getting Back into the Kitchen 
Making Chocolate Truffles & Quick Rolls
My 1st Fondant Cake for RJ's Birthday
This year I also went back into the kitchen to bake. I wasn't able to blog about all of my baking adventures this year but here are some of my favorites: quick rolls, my first fondant cake for RJ's birthday and that chocolate truffle pie. It was generally a good kitchen year :)

7. I Ate So Much This Year
In Cocina Juan - Look I ate more food than RJ!
This year I turned from being a hyper acidic who skips lunch to an overeating person! That's a complete 360 degree turn. In this blog alone, I was able to write about over 40 different restaurants in a span of 5 months. I still have a lot of restaurants I haven't written about. I guess it's safe to say that I ate in over 70 different restaurants this year. Nom nom nom! I'm honestly still in shock since I never knew I could eat so much. My former boss has really changed my eating habits. Haha. 

8. Meeting Amazing Bloggers
Lori Baltazar and Anton Diaz
Kaladkarin Bloggers and Food Bloggers
Since I began this blog, I've met a number of amazing bloggers as well. The first blogger I met was Lori Baltazar of Dessert Comes First. She's now officially my favorite food writer. :) 

During the Ultimate Taste Test, I met Anton Diaz of Our Awesome Planet

Later this year, I met the Kaladkarin Bloggers: Robbie, Jayvie, Dani, Bryan, Dennis, Will, Erica, Marc, Anais, Lou and JC

And of course, I met other food bloggers as well: Jean, Trixie, Dahlia and Jane

9. Ateneo de Manila won UAAP! 3-peat woot woot!
Last October 3, we celebrated the 3-peat UAAP Basketball Championship of Ateneo with a Bonfire Party in Ateneo de Manila University. I'm not really a basketball person but when it comes to UAAP, you'll hear me scream like crazy. I also love bonfires since they serve as reunion parties for my old schoolmates and orgmates. :)

10. Attending Foodie Events and Meeting Other Foodies
Eat, Write, Love Writing Workshop & 2 Sister-Bakers
Final Showdown of the Clash of the Toque-en Ones & Ultimate Taste Test 
Since my passion for food grew so much this year, I also made it a point to attend Foodie Events this year. I attended a food writing workshop and met Genine of The Cake Shack. I also watched Chef Sharwin win Lifestyle Network's Clash of the Toque-en Ones and I ate my way through Ultimate Taste Test 5.0

11. Blast from the Past - Reunions, Reunions and More Reunions :)
My High School & College Friends
Chico, Kiwee & Gary V
Of course, my year wouldn't be complete without meeting up with my friends back in high school and college. There were also friends who came back, Kiwee, after a 1 year stint abroad. And yes, my first love also came back this year, Gary V. Hahaha. 

---
After writing this entry, I realized that I have so much to be grateful for this year. This relieved the anxiety I felt a few days ago from my quarter life crisis moment. Thank you 2010 for a great year!

How about you, how was your 2010? :)

~It's the little sweet notes everyday that matter. :)~

13 comments:

Robbie said...

Awwww! Team Kaladkarin ftw! Glad we made into your list Smarla! :D

Smarla said...

Hey Robbie!

Oo naman! :D Next year Binondo naman tayo :)

Guillain Garcia said...

Yayyyy! we have a picture in your 2010 highlights! HAHA love your blog, Smarla. :) And you took the plunge in bohol! kainggit!

Rackell said...

wow! nice one! I hope makasama ako sa next food trip ng team kaladkarin! Happy new year!

Smarla said...

Hey Guillain,

Haha thank you so much Guillain! Of course meeting you guys was also a highlight of the year. It was ay first time to receive such a happy cake.

Fun magplunge, mahal though but okay na rin para masabi kong nagawa ko :P Gusto ko magbungee jump at surfing next!

Smarla said...

Hey Rackell,

Yeah sama ka sa aming mga next trips! :D Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! There we are! haha.
Happy 2011 to you, Smarla!

Smarla said...

Happy 2010 to you to Will! :D

Smarla said...

Ay joke, happy 2011 to you will! :D

AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said...

that fondant cake is sooo cute!:) i love how you made a 2010 highlight :) happy new year, smarla!

Smarla said...

Thank you so much Ava! haha, that's my first fondant cake.

Happy new year Ava! :)

Jayvie said...

i was all smiles while reading this entry. you've had sooooooooo much fun for 2010! super duper saya! you are blessed kasi you're also a blessing to others Smarla.

More happiness for 2011!!!! :D

Smar said...

AWWWWWWWWWW that's just so sweet! thank you so much Jayvie :) *huuuuuuug*

Ikaw rin Jayvie, you're a blessing to me and to others :)

Have a great 2011!